[TriEmbed] Adafruit's Google AIY kit on sale by Arrow

Huan Truong htruong at tnhh.net
Sun Apr 29 17:19:53 CDT 2018

I have one voice kit on hand. It is the rev2 version with the smaller HAT.
After working with it for two weeks, here are my notes:

- You can get it directly by going to Target. I can't be more pleased to be
able to get it from Target.

- The kit is generally well-put together. The board looks very high-quality.
It's called the Voice Bonnet.

- The documentation is severely lacking. So extreme to the point that there
isn't a single document detailing what each pin does on the HAT. This probably
will be improved, but given what I saw for the v1: it was not great - not
beyond the bare-bones.

- The tutorials were easy to follow and worked just as expected.

- There is nothing that is special about the hardware, it's just a DAC tacked
on a RPi 0 HW. You can as well just get a DAC HAT/USB sound card and follow
the same tutorials. You can do it by downloading their image on your RPi 0.

- Now for that though, the kit price is reasonable for what you get in the
box: A RPi 0 HW and a voice bonnet, and several other unimportant stuff.

- This is not open hardware.

- They have a stereo mic on the board, but you can't relocate them.

- The driver is open source and can be built as DKMS, but until I asked on
github, there was no indication whatsoever where the source is. For anyone who
wonders the same, it's not published online, it's local on the Pi 0 image, /
usr/local/src or something like that. Since it's GPLv2, I re-hosted it here:

https://github.com/htruong/aiy-voicebonnet-soundcard-dkms-driver

- As with every Google product ever, there is no support other than the
project on Github. I emailed the developer of the driver that has an
@google.com address more than a week ago, no replies. You can create issues
and hope they will reply, but I'd say even an open source project gets better
support than this.

Another Google's attempt at making hardware. Google tried to make it sound
like it's maker-friendly, promote AI and everything, but by the way it was
executed, I'm not convinced. It sounds more like a gateway drug to Google's
sound recognition API, there is nothing much of Machine Learning involved
here. All you do is to send the voice data to Google and they return a
transcription, or you send transcription and they send back voice. Everything
is a black box. By the way, you get free 60 minutes per month of voice
transcription API. If you actually want to do anything substantial with it,
you can as well forget about it.

Overall: 7/10. Works great as a raspberry with a nice sound card. And a
cardboard box?