[TriEmbed] TriEmbed meeting group

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 22:53:11 CDT 2017

A very good question, one I think a lot of folks are asking and so I am posting
this answer to both TriEmbed and SplatSpace's mailing lists.

On 10/06/2017 12:28 PM, Tony Johanningsmeier wrote:
> Scott,
>
> How does this TriEmbed group stack up next to the Arduino  group at
> Splatspace, I know that probably sounds funny, they're much more advanced and
> the Arduino meetings are only one day per month and I think the TriEmbed have
> been meeting more often, please correct me if I'm wrong on that. I think I
> would be in over my head at the TriEmbed group but I would learn more by being
> in a more stimulating environment and I'm not thinking about giving up on the
> Arduino meetings, they just progress at a slower pace. Is there a fee
> associated with the TriEmbed group?
>
> I might give it a try to check it out ... try it on for feel kind of thing.

The TriEmbed group meets once a month, on the second Monday of every month near
or on the NC State campus.  It started life as "Triangle Arduino" and morphed
into "Triangle Embedded Interest Group" to reflect that other microcontrollers
and single-board computers were being utilized.  Primarily it is a much more
advanced group and gets beyond the hobby world on into the professional.  The
meetings are more seminar and whitepaper oriented, as the lecture rooms on the
NCSU campus won't allow project based effort.

    website:        http://triembed.org/blog/home/

    other apropos websites of information:
            Embedded Development
https://www.embedded.com/education-training/tech-papers
            Embedded Computing Design    http://www.embedded-computing.com/
                 of special interest for makers:
http://www.embedded-computing.com/makerpro
            Military Embedded Systems        http://mil-embedded.com/white-papers/
            IoT Design
http://iotdesign.embedded-computing.com/white-papers/
            Laird Technology
https://www.lairdtech.com/solutions/white-papers/embedded-wireless-white-papers
            Wolf SSL
https://www.wolfssl.com/docs/wolfssl-white-papers/

The TriBRAE group meets also once a month, on the 4th Thursday of every month at
SplatSpace.  It is most helpfully for those folks who want to get into Arduinos,
Raspberry Pis, Launchpads and so on but have little or no knowledge of
electronics hardware and/or little or no knowledge of programming.  But even if
you have a more intermediate or advanced skill level, it is a great project time
and a chance to ask questions and work with others.

It is organized more as gathering of folks to share information and have actual
hands-on effort at learning and working with microcontrollers.  If you are on a
tight budget, there are some resources at SplatSpace that can be borrowed at the
time of the gatherings.  Lately there has been a more focused set of lessons,
with supporting handouts that you get to take with you.

        signup:          SplatSpace Calendar
(https://www.meetup.com/splatspace/events/), look for TriBRAE
        mailing list:   SplatSpace mailing list
(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/durham-makerspace/join)

You're welcome to attend both if you so desire, as you can think of the TriEmbed
meetings theoretical and the meetup at SplatSpace project-oriented lab time.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA