[TriEmbed] When not to use Chinese knockoffs...

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Tue May 2 12:29:47 CDT 2017

My professional guess is that the no-name parts are the rejects or
out-of-spec parts from the primary brands' production lines.  So that
wouldn't make them "knockoffs" so much as "rejects".  There is no way to
tell if you are getting a reject part because it has probably gone through
the production labeling and packaging process anyway.

Where I used to work, they had to test every inbound part, and if not
practical (tape reel, etc) test every soldered board to find the "radical"
parts before assembly.  This makes for very inefficient production testing
and drives the COGS up.

Just for information, you can expect about 4-5% defect rate from a good
supply of parts.  When you start seeing 25-50% defects you know you've been
ripped off.

- sgh

--
Scott G. Hall