[TriEmbed] name that title (& Monday reminder)

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 16:03:11 CDT 2017

I was looking up something else, and ran into diagrams that reminded me of
this discussion ...

I don't know who plagiarized from whom, but here is the same diagrams on a
Basic Electronics website:
https://www.slideshare.net/DanielMusyoka1/basic-electronics-39643994 (slide
21 of 54)

Also there is a massive mess of other diagrams (and their associated books
and/or websites) by searching Google images:
https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1216&bih=897&q=npn+water+analogy&oq=npn+water+analogy&gs_l=img.12...12226.25175.0.28832.23.8.2.13.15.0.120.676.0j6.6.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..2.6.676.0..0j0i5i30k1j0i8i30k1j0i24k1.QIxB8gT7zuI

- sgh

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Pete Soper via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> On 03/10/2017 12:54 PM, Brian via TriEmbed wrote:
>
>> Anybody else notice that the "pulley system" for the PNP diagram is
>> mechanically wrong?  A single pulley like that would have the E-C door
>> /closing/ as the E-B door opened.  Not to mention the magical semi-rigid
>> string that can transmit a compressing force...
>>
> Good catch! I only have access to the 3rd edition. Does somebody have the
> 4th edition to say whether it's been fixed? Looking up the figure using
> Mike's link only shows the bottom few characters of the figure for me.
>
> Maybe they figure gravity will obviate the need for a compressible string
> if you hold the book upright.  :-)
>
> Also, the bias springs in the 3rd edition are drawn like the type that
> would resist tension but obviously need to be resisting compression.  And
> what is the little black knob on the end of the NPN's base door supposed to
> be?
>
> What's to keep the CE junction "trap door" for the PNP being so far up
> that the connection to the base door is via rigid rod (hinged on both
> ends)? If I redraw it this way the notion of emitter current being shared
> by both base and collector is preserved, so I wonder what led them to even
> use a pulley (without thinking it through)?
>
> I can't bring myself to rip off this drawing, but making improved versions
> seems very OK at the moment.
>
> -Pete
>

>> XD
>>
>> -B
>>

>> On 03/10/2017 12:14 PM, Pete Soper via TriEmbed wrote:
>>
>>> Too funny. The horrible images.googlee.com graphic I was looking at made
>>> me guess it was many decades old. But it's on Page 436 of the third
>>> edition copy. That's just exactly what was after. THANKS!
>>> -Pete

Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
scottghall1 at gmail.com