[TriEmbed] name that title (& Monday reminder)

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Mar 10 12:52:47 CST 2017

On 03/10/2017 12:54 PM, Brian via TriEmbed wrote:
> Anybody else notice that the "pulley system" for the PNP diagram is
> mechanically wrong?  A single pulley like that would have the E-C door
> /closing/ as the E-B door opened.  Not to mention the magical
> semi-rigid string that can transmit a compressing force...
Good catch! I only have access to the 3rd edition. Does somebody have
the 4th edition to say whether it's been fixed? Looking up the figure
using Mike's link only shows the bottom few characters of the figure for me.

Maybe they figure gravity will obviate the need for a compressible
string if you hold the book upright.  :-)

Also, the bias springs in the 3rd edition are drawn like the type that
would resist tension but obviously need to be resisting compression.
And what is the little black knob on the end of the NPN's base door
supposed to be?

What's to keep the CE junction "trap door" for the PNP being so far up
that the connection to the base door is via rigid rod (hinged on both
ends)? If I redraw it this way the notion of emitter current being
shared by both base and collector is preserved, so I wonder what led
them to even use a pulley (without thinking it through)?

I can't bring myself to rip off this drawing, but making improved
versions seems very OK at the moment.

-Pete