[TriEmbed] TriEmbed Digest, Vol 44, Issue 18

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Jan 20 19:17:35 CST 2017

On 01/20/2017 04:07 PM, Alex Davis via TriEmbed wrote:
> Pete,
>
> what's the trick to getting decent performance out of the Eagle
> autorouter? The few times I've tried it, it's made a mess. On the other
> hand, I'm not routing wide data and address buses, so maybe it's useful
> for that sort of thing. I guess when I start doing 4-layer boards or try
> to do a 68000 retrocomputer in KiCAD we'll see how badly I screw myself.
>
> Alex

By "decent performance" do you mean esthetically pleasing, or avoiding
routing failure? In my experience component placement correlates with
both, up to a point. The Eagle autorouter frequently makes silly looking
routes. Another advantage of the purple OSH Park solder mask: makes the
traces nearly invisible. But also, trace widths and routing grid size
can affect quality.