[TriEmbed] Eagle now subscription-only

Jesse Griggs jesse.griggs at outlook.com
Fri Jan 20 11:21:24 CST 2017

I’m in the process of putting together a petition document that I want to widely distribute in an effort to get Autodesk to reconsider their user hostile EULA and subscription based licensing.  My plan is to request people to sign and date it and email it to autodeskeaglepetition at gmail.com (the address should be active).  If I can get enough signatures I’m going to formally submit them to Autodesk. If anyone wants to help or has input feel free to email me.

I’m prepared to fail miserably at this task but if you don’t like something you can either complain about it or try and change it!

Good day!

Jesse Griggs
jesse.griggs at outlook.com

On Jan 20, 2017, at 12:01 PM, Pete Soper via TriEmbed <triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

On 01/20/2017 08:36 AM, Alex Davis via TriEmbed wrote:
> Time to learn KiCad?

> Free version is still free, but beyond that you'll have to rent it.

So for $100 vs the earlier $69 you get 160 square centimeters, two layers and more schematic pages, but only for a year.  As you say, "educational" usage will continue to be free. One of the Autodesk honchos broadcast assurances recently that if person A makes a design with Autodesk-Eagle using the free version, then person B goes to sell work based on the PCB design, Autodesk would not go after person A. To get four layer support costs $500/year, which is of course entirely indigestible to many reading this.

I've been puttering around with KiCad for a few months and did one completely trivial board with it so far where the Eagle size limit required an alternative. But KiCad has no autorouter and I have to ask myself how many hours I'm willing to spend manually redoing a board with push and shove after a change when, with an autorouter, I can get a 90% solution in seconds, tweak placements, rinse and repeat, and greatly minimize manual steps. I once bootstrapped a simple assembler in machine code as a way to avoid spending so much time writing machine code: the glory of the harder road is greatly overrated!

But then there's four layer support and the $500/year cost of using Autodesk-Eagle to use that. Where I sit this moment I'm expecting to buckle down and get past a lot more of the KiCad learning curve while coughing up $100 for Autodesk for the next year.