[TriEmbed] TriEmbed Digest, Vol 55, Issue 5

Alex Davis alexd at matrixwide.com
Fri Dec 8 08:43:56 CST 2017

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 16:33:23 -0500
> From: Brian <triembed at undecidedgames.net>
> To: triembed at triembed.org
> Subject: Re: [TriEmbed] [TAR] PiTunnel
>
> If you want to cut down on the amount of hammering your SSH server gets
> from the world at large (and it will get hammered, trust me[0]), you can:
>
> - Set up firewall rules that block attempts from anywhere but places you
> expect to be (at a risk of being locked out if you're somewhere new), or
> - Configure SSH to listen on a nonstandard port [1]
>
> I use a combination of both: my more-secure system has firewall rules,
> but another system accepts connections on a non-standard port.  Then, if
> needed, I can connect to the secondary system with a key, from anywhere,
> and open a hole in the firewall if necessary.

You can also set up fake ports that scanners like which will hold open connections and slow them down considerably:
https://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/slow-down-internet-worms-tarpits <https://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/slow-down-internet-worms-tarpits>

There’s also denyhosts, which blacklists source IPs which try to log on to your host too many times: http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net <http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/>

Don’t bother sending your self alerts on port scans, they are extremely common and you will drive yourself nuts.

Alex