[TriEmbed] advice about selling reels of passive SMDs

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Aug 18 08:40:27 CDT 2017

I'm looking for folks with experience with (or watching others) selling
random reels of surface mount parts. Scrap Exchange donated some boxes
of reels to Splatspace and we cannot possibly use them for any but the
most unlikely of projects. I want to propose to the board that the parts
get sold, with a thank you payment back to Scrap, but I don't know if
this is hair-brained or likely to be straight forward, or anything in
between. I think Scrap has spent a year or two wishing they could sell
them (mile long necklace, anybody?) They're in cardboard boxes that
aren't charred, so I don't think they've been outside their storage temp
limits <grin>. But of course the humidity has been off the wall ('cept
one reel of caps is in a desiccant bag).

The material is mostly resistors (mostly 0603), but some caps (including
some big, higher voltage aluminum electrolytics), a few rectifiers and
inductors, resistor networks and maybe other parts. Many have sources
only knowable to those who can interpret the wad of numbers on the
reels, others are obvious like well labeled AVX caps. I SWAG (silly,
wild-ass guess) a million resistors, some tens of thousands of
capacitors, maybe a reel or two of the others.

What say you, people of vast collective experience?