[TriEmbed] [Splat Space] Opinion: best schematic drawing software

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 18:14:37 CDT 2016

I am already a KiCad user, have had an Eagle license in the past, and have
used some cool expensive software at work.  Lately I have played with
beginner software like Fritzing and FlowCode.

And yes, I was aware that LTSpice is a Spice variation, which I first used
with a Fortran deck of cards back in 1978 to analyze a tubed-TV circuit.
It turns out I am not new to CAD software and other circuit drawing apps.

The motivation behind my question, was what software should I steer others
toward, what are you all's favorite and for what reasons?  I personally
will likely stick with RFFlow simply because I have built up a big library
of parts, and the results are in scalable vector format that exports well
with most wordprocessing apps, and can be rasterized at whatever resolution
I choose in gimp for webpage graphics.

And if I need more advanced features, I'm likely to continue with KiCad.

But I am used to both.  What would be good to get another user up to speed,
without bogging down in the minutia of the drawing itself, but maintain
focus on the circuit?

- sgh

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 6:59 PM, Jeremy Davis via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> I strongly agree with Brian about CAD software being superior in the long
> run. KiCAD looks nice!
>
> It is actually on my todo list to stoke up interest in open source CAD
> software talks for an upcoming TriLUG meeting. Since 3dHubs came online, it
> is really convenient to find people to print designs locally which is
> awesome if you know how to create designs. Anyone interested in speaking at
> TriLUG on this topic, feel free to send an email to steering at trilug.org
>
> Jeremy
>

> On Tuesday, September 13, 2016, Brian via TriEmbed <triembed at triembed.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> I must strongly recommend against heading down the path of using graphics
>> software to do electronics work, and instead recommend learning an actual
>> electronics CAD package.
>>
>> Right now you don't need advanced electronics features, but down the road
>> you might.  If you learn an electronics CAD tool now, you'll be in decent
>> shape when you want more features.  If you learn a graphics tool now,
>> you'll have a bunch of useless stuff when it comes time to take it farther
>> down the road.
>>
>> Others have already provided links to lists of electronics CAD packages.
>> I use Eagle and KiCAD.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -B
>>
>> <snip>