[TriEmbed] In Need of Job Advice

Carl Nobile carl.nobile at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 21:50:01 CDT 2016

Nathan,

I'm in my 60s and run into this crap all the time. Some good bullet points
about working for small companies and startups that you should consider
before taking a position.

   1. Don't rush into anything. Even with my experience I have to keep
   reminding myself of this.
   2. If on a 1099 contract do NOT take a position unless they are willing
   to pay for more than a 40 hour week. This is the whole idea of 1099s and
   one of it's many advantages, don't bend on this one or you will be working
   100 hour weeks and getting very little for it.
   3. If on a W2 contract find out if they want a lot of overtime, this is
   up to you, remember on a W2 they will never pay more than 40 hours a week.
   4. Ask what the companies funding is like and how long are they funded
   for. Less than six months DON'T take the job.
   5. If the work is remote (I do this all the time) and if the company is
   in a different time zone, be sure they will not expect you to work their
   hours, unless you think it's okay to do that, but always ask.
   6. Read and reread the contract before you sign. If it is full of
   incomprehensible legal terms get suspicious. Look online for some of these
   so you know what to expect.
   7. Don't even consider that a promises of anything has any value.
   Promises are like vaporware, they never come to be. If it's not in the
   contract you will never see it.
   8. On 1099s I always bill after the end of the month (Yup, this is
   normal, no money for a month). Give them terms in your invoice "Payment
   must be received within 10 days of receipt" The number of days is your
   choice and don't be afraid of charging a penalty fee if late--you're in
   business.
   9. Please please please never work for more than 45 days with no pay on
   a 1099 and three weeks on a W2.

This is a lesson we all learn when working contract positions, so don't
kill yourself over it.

~Carl

carl.nobile at gmail.com