[TriEmbed] In Need of Job Advice

kschilf at yahoo.com kschilf at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 21 18:34:46 CDT 2016

Hi Nathan,
To second Carl's advice, never begin without a signed contract.  Be very pro-active about sending and collecting invoices.  Good communication is key.  If they fail to live up to their end, you can have an attorney send them a Demand letter which reinforces your claim.  Some customers will not respond until the threat of legal action is made clear.  You can also take them to court.  Wake County Small Claims court is a good way to go if the amount in question is less than $10,000.  You can represent yourself meaning your cash outlay is less than $200; otherwise, you will have to take them to District Court which requires legal representation and can be very expensive.

Actual payment terms vary from industry to industry.  Few customers pay in the customary Net30 days.  Most pay within 45.  Occasionally, it can take 90 days or more.  I enjoy working on a wide range of projects with smart folks, but forgetting that there are sharks in the water can be very hazardous to your economic well-being.  :-)

Good luck,Kevin