[TriEmbed] TriEmbed Digest, Vol 42, Issue 7

Alex Davis alexd at matrixwide.com
Fri Nov 18 12:11:03 CST 2016

> In all honesty, I would HIGHLY recommend you not supply a smart phone to any child you care about.
>
> My expertise is in cyber security, and as the parent of a HS freshman girl I can testify that the biggest mistake of my entire life so far was that damn phone. It will expose your child to unprecedented levels of pornography, predators, and bullies. The literally dozens of means it provides for children to engage in inappropriate activities is simply too much for parents to monitor. It will enable incredible levels of deception and hiding that you can never totally uncover. Even very good, disciplined children will be changed to some degree through peer pressure once this device is in their possession.
>
> I have taken the phone, but too late. If you want to get acquainted with local law enforcement, go ahead, but I can guarantee her life will be diminished by the device, not enhanced by it.

For a teen, I suggest looking for a tracfone with 3x minutes, and buy a 400 minute, 1 year card. That is more than enough minutes for a teen to call you (and you call them), and for them to occasionally call and text their friends (which they will do). Per call/text it is expensive, but overall it is very cheap as it will last the whole year and cost much less per year, vs. >= $35/mo plus taxes and fees.

In my opinion as a parent of teens, nothing good can come from providing a teenager with a smartphone. At the least, it is a waste of money and a source of endless distraction, and at worse it is a life-runiner.