[TriEmbed] N-MOSFET Symbol

Rick nm3g at triad.rr.com
Thu Mar 10 16:04:26 CST 2016

Good afternoon all,

By limiting the gate current during turn-on and turn-off, you can reduce
or eliminate back EMF spikes from inductive loads. Not knowing the mass
or velocity of the motor at turn-off keeps me from offering suggested
series resistor values, but does introduce a method of tuning.

Connect an oscilloscope between the FET Drain and Source ... if the
source is floating above ground, use two scope channels in A+B mode, and
leave the probe grounds off.

When switching on and off, you will see a square wave with a (hopefully)
minor spike. By increasing the resistor value from the gate drive
source, you can slow the gate turn-on (treat the gate as the capacitor
it is). Don't go too high, or you'll overheat the transistor by staying
in the linear (not hard-switched) mode.

If you need different turn-on and turn-off values, connect two
resistors, with one end of both resistors connected to your gate drive,
the other end of each resistor is connected to a diode (high speed
please), one resistor to one diode's anode, the other resistor to the
other diode's cathode. The free ends of the two diodes then connect to
the gate.

By adjusting the turn-on and turn-off resistance values, you can greatly
reduce the spikes induced by the rapid DI/DT (change in current over
time) created by the mosfet switch. If you have a known load, you can
also connect a series resistor/capacitor across the drain and source ...
you'll have to research snubbers to figure out the appropriate values.

For difficult snubber issues, such as when you are burning up snubber RC
networks, you can install a TVS between the drain and the gate, and then
a resistor from gate to ground (at the mosfet side of any current
limiting resistors). Choose the TVS voltage wisely, greater than your
typical VCC, but less than the maximum Vds. This creates a self-snubbing
circuit, where if the spike is big enough to trigger the TVS, the FET
will turn back on momentarily, and thus"eating" the spike. You really do
need to install a second TVS between the gate and source, with a turn-on
voltage less than the Vgs rating of the mosfet. Be careful to ensure you
don't set up a nice, noisy power oscillator (yea, been there ... done
that!).

If you see that your spikes are minimal to non-existent ...
congratulations.

Regards,

Rick