[TriEmbed] N-MOSFET Symbol

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Mar 10 15:24:27 CST 2016

This may come across as high-minded, but really I just want to pass it
along as something that's hopefully on target. This topic forced me to
go study and read and I'm looking for confirmation I'm not misleading
anybody.

The specific motor control application that I think might be relevant to
Brian's kids is treated with the "freewheeling diode"s link on this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_MOSFET#Body_diode

Here is the transistor Brian's kids are going to use:

https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/FQ/FQP30N06L.pdf

This transistor can handle 32 amps of avalanche current and is
specifically designed for inductive loads. The body diode in this
transistor qualifies as a snubber when a motor is turned off and is
"freewheeling". The energy will go straight to ground without incident.
Searching for this part number and "motor" gives a number of hits where
hobby folks are putting rectifiers across the motor windings. This
strikes me as redundant. (At this point one might think "but wait, this
transistor is only rated at 60 volts source to drain". But when the coil
field collapses and the source voltage shoots up the transistor junction
"avalanches" and begins to conduct current very quickly, yanking the
voltage right down close to ground. The "avalanche feature" of the
transistor is manufacturing technique that avoids "hot spots" that might
ruin the part.)

Sorry for assuming we more or less knew the application: wimpy little
low power motors with massive overkill components.  And I'm probably
running the risk of causing folks to blow up their parts by not simply
recommending a separate snubber.  It may be going too far to suggest
that the body diode should be included in the schematic when it can be
considered a snubber, but I confess this the frame of mind I'd developed
before the discussion woke me up. I'll be reading datasheets more
carefully in the future!

Ah, but we haven't mentioned improperly switching the transistor and
having it sit in its linear zone. I claim the local record for how fast
a MOSFET can desolder itself when this happens at six amperes to a small
SMD. :-)

-Pete