[TriEmbed] ChipQuik substitutes

Alex Davis alexd at matrixwide.com
Tue Jun 28 13:05:58 CDT 2016

After unsoldering an APA102 without ChipQuick, and realizing how good
but also how expensive it is, I decided to look for a substitute.
There's a good list of fusible alloys here, their melting point, and
whether they are eutectic or not:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusible_alloy

Looks like "Cerrolow" is pretty close to ChipQuick, in terms of
temperature. Only difference to note is it contains cadmium, which is
toxic, but then again so is lead, and probably also the indium in
ChipQuik.

I see you can purchase a half-pound of Cerrolow off ebay for $38 with
free shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cerrolow-117-aka-Bolton-117-1-2-lb-ingot-226-grams-Blocking-Alloy-/291214944764?hash=item43cdc369fc:g:YwgAAOxy3cJThPHo

I may give it a shot. Any other recommendations?

Alex

--
"The theater of noise is proof of our potential."

You won't find me on Facebook.