[TriEmbed] soldering oxidized pins - QFN part

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Wed Jan 27 10:39:22 CST 2016

That's a (T)QFP, not a QFN (QFN means Quad Flat No-lead).  Pedantry
aside, try a good blast of flux remover, or a soak in a weak acid such
as H2SO4 (sulfuric acid, available as "battery acid" in auto parts
stores) to try to dissolve the oxide.  Light wiping with a lint-free
swab will help the process along.  Be sure to rinse well in deionized
water afterward and allow to dry thoroughly for at least 24 hours.  Wear
gloves!

Most plastics hold up well in sulfuric acid; epoxies are fair (keep the
bath below room temperature).  Not knowing the exact makeup of the
plastic of the part, I can only say don't keep it in the bath for long
(as in hours or days).

Note: I have never tried this; I'm inventing this suggestion based on
the chemistry.

Or just try soldering it anyway.

Good luck!