[TriEmbed] Fwd: Question about controlling Brushless DC motors

Martin Brooke martin.brooke at duke.edu
Fri Jan 22 14:44:36 CST 2016

​Most folks including me have just used an ESC and controlled the BLDCM via
the ESC with the Arduino simulating a joystick RC controller.

There are issues

1.  ESC documentation usually sucks or does not exist.
2.  There are very few real standards, some fancy ESCs can be pulse
programmed to change many features some low cost models just work with PWM
control.
3. All ESCs were designed for use with w joystick controller ​and have
annoying carryover from that.

That said last Fall students got an ECS controlled BLDCM to start a gas
engine and (possibly) then behave as a generator using an Arduino and
standard fancy ESC.  The had to do a lot of reprogramming and I am about
ready to build my own for the next go around or at least reflash the
controller.  So you can do a lot and if you just want to run the motor it
really is pretty easy once you get over the calibration hump.

​There are two ways around this that I know of

1. Find a shield​

​
http://hackaday.com/2014/10/08/brushless-motor-controller-shield-for-arduino/

https://www.lxrobotics.com/produkte/arduino-shields/brushless-motorshield

http://scolton.blogspot.com/2010/06/arduino-hexbridge-shield-v20.html

I could not find one I would buy though. Let me know if you do!

2.  Get into the open source flashing of ESCs

​https://github.com/balrog-kun/tgy

https://github.com/sim-/tgy

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__39708__Afro_ESC_30Amp_Multi_rotor_Motor_Speed_Controller_SimonK_Firmware_.html

That or just replacing the controller on the ESC with my own is what I
think I would do next.

Cheers,