[TriEmbed] RaspPi Power Protection

Adam Haile email at adamhaile.net
Thu Jan 14 16:12:45 CST 2016

I'm playing with an idea for a Pi Zero "Hat" that would involve LEDs... I
know, shocking.

So, I figured it would be possible to power the Pi off the LED power input
but I want to support 12V LEDs as well. My current plan is just a jumper
(solderable probably) and a stern warning that it's your own fault if you
fry your Pi.

since the 5V GPIO pins on the pi are "raw" in that they bypass the normal
protection circuitry, are there any best practices you would recommend for
protecting the Pi from people doing stupid things?

I also have the issue that if I someone leaves that pin jumped and also
connects the normal USB power, I'd be mingling those power supplies... I
could just put a diode in that would only let power come from the LED
supply (I also DON'T want people trying to power the LEDs off USB), voltage
drop and we all know how happy the Pi is when you don't give it a nice,
healthy 5.0V :P

Thoughts?