[TriEmbed] C Code Question Ralated to Rotary Encoder

jonjwolfe at anibit.com jonjwolfe at anibit.com
Tue Feb 23 14:53:23 CST 2016

I think you're overthinking it a bit. There is (almost) no such thing as
a "decimal" value at runtime. The integer variables in C++ are *always*
in binary, especially on Arduino.

a "byte" in C++ is nothing more than an integer type that is unsigned,
and semantically constrained to be 8 bits. That is it, period, there's
nothing else that distinguishes a "byte" type from a regular "int" type.

The "byte" moniker on that type is nothing more than a convenience, and
as a mnemonic indicator that the variable logically represents some
byte, (as opposed to say, a loop index) There is a standard C++ type
"uint8_t" that is identical in every way to a byte type, you could use
that type everywhere and your program would behave identically.

In that context, the state variable is manipulated bit-wise, so that
it's value ranges between 0-3. Any integer can be manipulated bitwise in
C/C++. You can even manipulate floating point bit-wise, but the
representation is such that there is seldom reason to do so.

the statement:

state <<= 1;

is moving all the bits of that variable to the right, so if the variable
had a value of 1 before the statement, it would then have a value of 2.

The "byte" type used in Arduino is not a standard C++ type, it is
defined in terms of one of two standard C++ types: "uint8_t", so they
are, in-fact, equivalent.

On desktops, on 32 or 64 bit cpus, it is impossible to have only a 8 bit
value, so the compiler actually has to do extra work to ensure that the
code behaves identically to if it were only 8 bits. For example, adding
1 to a uint8_t variable would yield 256, but the compiler adds
instructions to mask out the high bits to make sure the answer you get
is 0. That's not needed on Arduino, because the "native" data size is
already 8 bits.