[TriEmbed] FreeRTOS vs mbed-rtos, plus example

Alex Davis alexd at matrixwide.com
Tue Apr 26 15:06:21 CDT 2016

Any reason a new person to RTOS such as myself should prefer FreeRTOS
over mbed-rtos? I found this:
http://www.embedded.com/electronics-blogs/industry-comment/4237614/Who-wins-when-Cortex-M-adds-RTOS-abstraction-layer-

So, mbed-rtos (CMSIS) might be larger and possibly slower? I don't think
it matters to me personally, as I have no problem (at this stage) just
buying the most maxed out dev board and not thinking about it.
Commercial product which needs the smallest, cheapest MCU? Guess I'll
hire someone smarter to worry about that.

That aside, I found what I think it a good example of where a RTOS
simplifies things: Here
https://developer.mbed.org/users/4180_1/notebook/led-lighting-effects-for-modelers/
under "Using the RTOS for multiple LEDs and effects", it's much easier
to conceptualize each lighting effect as it's own self-contained task,
vs. the usual way of keeping track of the state of each effect as you
loop through each one.

--
"The theater of noise is proof of our potential."

You won't find me on Facebook.