[TriEmbed] Question on WiFi Enabled "Arduino Compatible" Board

Dwight Morgan dwight.w.morgan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 22:21:26 CDT 2016

Hello All:

Does anyone have experience with the Diymall D1 Wifi UNO Based Esp8266 for
Arduino Compatible board. It shows up on Amazon and Ebay to name two. The
Amazon URL is:

http://www.amazon.com/Diymall-Based-Esp8266-Arduino-Compatible/dp/B016PNJ40W
/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8
<http://www.amazon.com/Diymall-Based-Esp8266-Arduino-Compatible/dp/B016PNJ40
W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459564884&sr=8-2&keywords=D1+UNO>
&qid=1459564884&sr=8-2&keywords=D1+UNO

It's using the ESP8266 embedded on an Arduino similar looking board.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an ESP8266 Serial Wifi Wireless Transceiver
Module Esp-01from Ebay, similar to at URL:

http://www.amazon.com/Diymall%C2%AE-Esp8266-Serial-Wireless-Transceiver/dp/B
00O34AGSU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics
<http://www.amazon.com/Diymall%C2%AE-Esp8266-Serial-Wireless-Transceiver/dp/
B00O34AGSU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1459565934&sr=1-1&keywords=E
SP8266> &ie=UTF8&qid=1459565934&sr=1-1&keywords=ESP8266

and got the AT commands working off the Arduino power and direct connections
to the TX and RX. But I couldn't get the blink program working with the
ESP8266  interfaced with the Arduino. It looks like a level shifter and
power supply is needed to make it work correctly and I'm not that good at
soldering. So, that is why I was looking at this "D1 WiFi UNO Based
ESP8266". If that doesn't require level shifting and a separate power supply
I'd like to try that route.

Right now I have a Raspberry Pi recording my hot water heater on and off in
a mysql database and I'm using the SSH to watch the data on a second Pi via
WiFi. But I want to change the monitoring of the hot water heater to an
Arduino with WiFi if possible to replace the Water Heater Pi.

If this has been covered by the group somewhere already, apologies, and
please point me there.

All input is appreciated and welcome. Thanks!

Dwight