[TriEmbed] I2C range extension

Charles West crwest at ncsu.edu
Tue Sep 29 21:03:01 CDT 2015

Hello,

Thanks again for all the good discussion on electrical connectors.

We're still debating some of the specifics for the CANInstall and/or
I2CPotential protocols.  One of the big things up in the air is how
reliable I2C is and how long the range can be.

My impression is that having a I2C bus of more than a meter or two is
considered pushing your luck.  However, there seem to be range
extender/repeater chips available that promise rather drastically improved
range (such as the P82B715).

If I may ask, what is the longest I2C bus you have built/seen?

How has your experience been in terms of reliability?

What sort of bus speeds do you tend to use?

The bus speed is driven by the master, so theoretically you could have a
sub-hertz baud rate?  Does this mean that you could get a really long range
with a super slow baud rate or are the edges not sharp enough to be
detected?

Thanks,
Charlie