[TriEmbed] Favourite electrical connectors?

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Sep 25 12:14:30 CDT 2015

Right about now you're saying to yourself "these RJ11 jacks are insanely
large!" But it's a daisy-chain bus and your controller PCB is not likely
to have more than one or a very small number of bus interfaces, so
you're probably just dealing with one connector site (for the RJ11 jack
I mentioned you need 16x17mm). Yes, that's maybe an extra dollar or
dollar and a half on a set of three OSH Park boards vs using a DF13.

The issue, in my opinion, is getting practical, inexpensive, *impedance
controlled* cable physically attached to the connector. It seems
problematic to adapt CAT3/5/6 to a DF13 so you avoid work-hardening and
breaking wires while getting the thing on and off, arranging the cable
run, etc. The JST PH series of connectors (the ones you see all the time
for lithium battery connections) might be an alternative (and I have
pile of these and a factory tool to play with if you want to explore
that). But in terms of physical connection the DF13 or JST are going to
want some major help because only two to four wires can attach and these
are very wimpy, solid copper wires. With an RJ11 you at least get six of
(typically) eight connected. Unfortunately an experiment with heat
shrink just now makes it clear there is no way to use this to physically
secure the UTP to the end of the RJ11 plug: the entire plug goes into
the jack with nothing left for an overlap of heat shrink.
-Pete