[TriEmbed] Favourite electrical connectors?

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Sep 25 11:46:21 CDT 2015

The cable requirement for CANBUS is explicitly dictated by the bus
standard (covered in this TI blurb
<http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slla270/slla270.pdf>): you'll be using 120 ohm
twisted pair. Accommodating the 120 ohm termination resistors needed at
the two ends of the bus is a side issue that might interact with
connector choice. The easy choice for cable is UTP (aka CAT3/5/6) with
as few twisted pairs as you can get by with (since canbus only uses one
pair). Somebody recently gave away hundreds of feet of this stuff at a
TriEmbed meeting, so I think this is a good choice.

The bus is only two wires, plus one more for an optional shield. So a
very simple connector will do it. IMO the lowly RJ11 will get the job
done. I have three crimping tools you can borrow. :-) The male
connectors are cheap as dirt. Here's a Digikey jack
<http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/A-2014-0-4-R/AE10390-ND/2183641>
(35 cents at Q50). Some of the "big boys" use RJ45, but I can't see the
need for that and it's just extra cost wrt PCB area.

The lowly RJ11 combined with UTP cable might be a practical solution.
The connector is "keyed", trivial to get in and out, but stays in place.
You could also arrange a convention where a termination resistor could
either be crimped into two additional connector sites (so the
termination is part of the cable) or handled on the PCB. A weather boot
would be used for cases where crud might get inside the connector, as it
is highly exposed. Using dielectric grease to exclude oxygen would be a
good idea too for cases where the connection is going to be exposed.

-Pete