[TriEmbed] Favourite electrical connectors?

Charles West crwest at ncsu.edu
Fri Sep 25 09:18:07 CDT 2015

Hello,

I'm working on a board for the CanInstall autoregistration project and I'm
not really sure what connectors to use for it.  I'm currently leaning
toward either DF13-4 connectors or simple 4 pin headers.  If I may ask, are
there any other connectors that you would recommend or have used in your
projects?

Pros/cons:
DF13:
The upside is that they are very small, connect very securely and SMD
female connectors are $.41 per.  The downside is that they are extremely
hard to get out (don't pull on cable, very gently pry with finger nail on
one side, then the other) and cables for them are extremely hard to
find/expensive ($1.5 per in lots of 20 is the cheapest I've found).

Vertical Headers:
The plus is I can get break apart SMD headers at roughly $.05 each
including shipping at lots of $5 (
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-2-54MM-1-40Pin-SMD-SMT-1-40Pin-Male-Single-Row-Pin-Header-/261879748701?hash=item3cf93fd85d),
cables at $.22 per in lots of $5 (
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-2-54mm-to-2-54mm-Dupont-Wire-Cable-Connectors-4P-to-4P-Pin-Header-20cm-YG-/111487505711?hash=item19f52c552f)
and they are pretty standard for hobbyist projects (and extremely similar
to servo connections).  The downsides are that they have no polarity
control, are much more likely to slide out and take up a lot more board
real estate (translating to either bigger boards or less connectors).

Thanks,
Charlie