[TriEmbed] TriEmbed Digest, Vol 28, Issue 10

Adam Haile email at adamhaile.net
Mon Sep 14 12:36:52 CDT 2015

Brian, I agree with Alex in that you can use the APA102 on the Pi without
even using something like the AllPixel. And they are still pretty cheap.

But I wonder if you really want a strip light...
If you want something with bigger lights, I would go with the "string
lights"... I can't get to the pricing list at work. Can find a part number
at home. But, basically, they are bigger modules with 3-5 LEDs per
controlled by a single IC. They typically come in WS2801, LPD8806 or WS2812
(NeoPixel) variety (the main ICs that come as a separate IC, not embedded
into the LED itself).

These would look more like the normal bulbs you have already. Just a
thought. BTW... you can control WS2801 direct from a pi... it's protocol is
STUPID simple.