[TriEmbed] New free Atmel Studio 7 development studio now lets you input Arduino sketches.

Ken Boone kensrobots at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 11:53:12 CDT 2015

Wow what a great discussion!

I have used an Atmel programming evirment for many years.  It has always
been free with fairly inexpensive well documented Atmel programming
packages including a device programmer.  Also there were/are many very
inexpensive second market programmers and programmer kits.

I mostly programmed in assembly and using the environment was wonderful
compared to how I first started programming.

My first microprocessor (early 70's) just had toggle switches to enter the
program.  Thankfully it had a cassette interface to save programs.  Check
out Jr robot on my website.

The next microprocessor had an editor burned in ROM.  You used a terminal
program to enter the code in hexadecimal.  What an improvement. See Atom
Ant robot.

Wow!!!  The first Basic Stamp 1 by Parallax was programmed in BASIC with a
free programming environment. See Basic Stomp robot.

Back to the subject.  I have used several microprocessor programming
environments with various brands of micros.  I spent lots of money buying C
and C++ books and compilers and found the C language well arcaic!  To me it
is harder to read than APL (Remember writing a hole program on one line).
Then try to load GNU environment for a particular micro could make you
swear.

I praise Arduino for simplifying C programming and auto mating the
programming environment.

However the Parallax BASIC Stamp series in my and many educators opinions
is the best first time programmer entrance to programming things.  There
programming manuals are by far better than any other I have seen and you
don't need to be on the Internet.

My many two cents.

Ken
KensRobots.com