[TriEmbed] Sealed Lead Acid Batteries - how low will they go?

Chip McClelland chip at mcclellands.org
Fri May 29 19:04:54 CDT 2015

To all,

Taking your collective advice, I have been testing a sealed lead acid battery with my cellular data logger.  It has been dutifully sending updates to Ubidots hourly for almost three weeks now.  Here is a link to the current voltage <http://app.ubidots.com/ubi/getchart/page/fwweXqpV5QlRbiZ8nzEvou4nNi8> of the 12V battery <http://www.amazon.com/UPG-UB1280I-Sealed-Lead-Batteries/dp/B0009GIKNE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432943993&sr=8-1&keywords=UPG+UB1280I+Sealed+Lead+Acid+Batteries> that has been running things.

The question is, when do I stop the test?  I have read different articles stating that these batteries should be discharged only to 11.9V (but, this is a 12V battery - albeit one that started at 13.1V at full charge) and others that say that a full discharge is OK as long as you recharge the battery quickly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chip

P.S. - the LiPo Solar version  <https://twitter.com/chipmc86/status/604435703653658625> s now ready to make it’s public debut on the Greenway trails.