[TriEmbed] FTDI Issues

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Fri May 29 15:52:39 CDT 2015

On closer look, I think I misunderstood something.

Whatever it is that you are plugging into the USB port on the host is what is dead.  I don’t see USB pins on the ESP8266 chip’s pinout, so I’m guessing that means there’s a piece in between (“FTDI Adapter?”).

If this is your system (simplified, of course):

---+
PC |]=[USB cable]=[| FTDI Adapter |]=[wires]=[| ESP8266 |
                     This is the                Not this
                     broken part

Try plugging the FTDI adapter into a different host.  If that host also fails to recognize it, it’s definitely dead.  The host should recognize the FTDI device regardless of what is downstream from it.

Hope that helps.
-Brian