[TriEmbed] ESP8266 Serial Connection

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Tue May 19 12:19:45 CDT 2015

This is nice information.

I looked at it a bit and one thing that jumped out and swatted me on the
nose is the fact that the radio board 3.3v power supply current draw can
greatly exceed the current an FTDI chip can put out. The "usual" FTDI
chips (and it appears Sparkfun is using a vanilla FT232RL) can only
source about 50ma at 3.3 volts from their internal regulators. The
ESP8266 board has typical (i.e. possibly far from "worst case") current
requirements looking like this (from the table on the web site linked to
below):

802.11b, CCK 1Mbps, POUT=+19.5dBm 215mA
802.11b, CCK 11Mbps, POUT=+18.5dBm197mA
802.11g, OFDM 54Mbps, POUT=+16dBm145mA
802.11n, MCS7, POUT =+14dBm135mA
802.11b, packet size of 1024 bytes, -80dBm60mA
802.11b, packet size of 1024 bytes, -70dBm60mA
802.11b, packet size of 1024 bytes, -65dBm62mA
Standby0.9uA
Deep sleep10mA
Saving mode DTIM 1 1.2mA
Saving mode DTIM 3 0.86mA
Shutdown0.5uA

So a lot of the time you're basically trying to kill the FTDI chip. I
personally let the smoke out of one of these by accidentally telling it
to try to supply a motor controller (off by an inch with the wire in the
breadboard and hit the wrong power rail). They will die if tortured enough.

So plan on the FTDI's 5v line driving an outboard 3.3v regulator with
proper capacitors on both sides. An oscilloscope could confirm the radio
is getting a proper supply and that it's not being yanked down by sudden
changes in current demand.

-Pete