[TriEmbed] ESP8266 Serial Connection

Nathan Yinger npyinger at ncsu.edu
Tue May 19 09:44:41 CDT 2015

So, I have an ESP8266, a new serial adapter (
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9873), and I'm trying to get them to
communicate.

When I power up the ESP8266, it creates a wifi network where I can join and
ping it, but as far as I can tell, reprogramming it requires a serial
connection.

When the ESP8266 is powered on, the 'tx' light on the serial adapter
flashes continuously, which I assume means the ESP8266 is transmitting
something. Nothing appears in my serial monitor though, not even gibberish.

I'm using the serial monitor that comes with the Arduino IDE, with various
baud rates and line endings. I haven't found any documentation about the
byte length, parity, or character encoding used by ESP8266. I get a TTYUSB
device in /dev when I plug in the serial adapter, so it appears to be doing
something.

Does anyone know what's required to make the chips do something? Or have a
working setup they could bring to the next meeting?

Thanks,
~Nathan