[TriEmbed] Solar Power Project

Burr Sutter burrsutter at gmail.com
Mon May 11 16:59:50 CDT 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Chip McClelland via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> To all,
>
> I won’t be able to make the meeting tonight (darn day job!).  But, I
> wanted to share the board, designs and software for that solar power
> management board I talked about at the last meeting. Details and link here
> <https://twitter.com/chipmc86/status/597811201230376961>.  Here is the
> punch-line: On a 2000mAH LiPo battery, I can keep my cellular data logger
> fully charged and reporting hourly with only 3 hours of sunlight a week.
> Not bad.

That sounds awesome
how often do we have whole weeks with zero sunlight? :-)

> Based on the overwhelming feedback from the last meeting, I have also
> purchased a big 8AH 12V Sealed Lead Acid battery and started a run down
> test.  If you are at all interested, I you can watch the current status
> here
> <http://app.ubidots.com/ubi/getchart/page/fwweXqpV5QlRbiZ8nzEvou4nNi8>.
> So far so good with almost 24 hours dropping the battery from 13.12 to
> 13.07.  From what I have read
> <http://www.solarnavigator.net/battery_charging.htm>  I need to stop the
> test once the battery gets to 11.9 - this could take a while.

I have heard those are relatively inexpensive. The boaters and RV
enthusiasts apparently have them.  I am looking for a solution to power a
"pond pump" to keep a tiny water fall/filter system working.  Where did you
pick up the battery from?

>  Based on this test, I may need to invest in a 12V solar panel and charger
> as well.

Do you feel you need both solutions for your data logger?