[TriEmbed] Solar Power Project

Chip McClelland chip at mcclellands.org
Mon May 11 12:25:21 CDT 2015

To all,

I won’t be able to make the meeting tonight (darn day job!).  But, I wanted to share the board, designs and software for that solar power management board I talked about at the last meeting. Details and link here <https://twitter.com/chipmc86/status/597811201230376961>.  Here is the punch-line: On a 2000mAH LiPo battery, I can keep my cellular data logger fully charged and reporting hourly with only 3 hours of sunlight a week.  Not bad.

Based on the overwhelming feedback from the last meeting, I have also purchased a big 8AH 12V Sealed Lead Acid battery and started a run down test.  If you are at all interested, I you can watch the current status here <http://app.ubidots.com/ubi/getchart/page/fwweXqpV5QlRbiZ8nzEvou4nNi8>.  So far so good with almost 24 hours dropping the battery from 13.12 to 13.07.  From what I have read <http://www.solarnavigator.net/battery_charging.htm>  I need to stop the test once the battery gets to 11.9 - this could take a while.  Based on this test, I may need to invest in a 12V solar panel and charger as well.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.  Sorry I will miss the meeting tonight - I always end up learning something.

Chip