[TriEmbed] BBB kernel > 3.8 experience

Alex Davis alexd at matrixwide.com
Mon May 4 12:29:57 CDT 2015

Anyone have experience with running a kernel newer than 3.8 on the
BeagleBone Black (BBB)? I'd like to do it, as 3.8.x seems to have USB
issues which prevent a webcam from working properly.

I've tried the Ubuntu 14.04 eMMC flasher, which does get you to 3.15 (or
something like that) where USB works well, but it does not seem to
include much in the way of wireless drivers and nor do the guides easily
adding them in 3.8 seem to apply.

It's possible the eMMC versions omit the drivers due to space reasons.
I'll try a full 4 GB 14.04 soon. I'd prefer to boot from the eMMC but
will settle for booting from the SD card.

I'm aware you can cross-compile a kernel and I may have to do that, but
don't want to.

As an aside, I'd heard the BBB was designed to fit in an Altoids tin, so
I decided to find out how much work it is vs. just buying a decent metal
case from someplace like Logic Supply. The answer is, unless you don't
value your time, it's not worth it. Too much drilling, fiddling with
finding the right sort of standoffs to clear the DVI port, and work with
the tin snips and nibbler.

--
"The theater of noise is proof of our potential."

You won't find me on Facebook.