[TriEmbed] Frying Raspberries - TriEmbed Digest, Vol 22, Issue 25

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 18:31:55 CDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Terry King <terry at terryking.us> wrote:

> I think Arduinos are much more resistant to frying.  [...]
>
> So why  not just use Arduino for the physical I/O and link it to a Pi for
> the Computer/ Operating
> System / Network / Human Interface World part, and accept the fact that
> they are so different? And
> there are so many good software library / device choices out there.

This is what the "Ala Mode
<http://www.makershed.com/products/alamode-for-raspberry-pi>" and original "
Gertboard-Arduino
<http://canada.newark.com/gertboard/gertduino/arduino-uno-compatible-i-o-board/dp/01X2969>"
offer.  Somebody mentioned at the Durham R-Pi meetup the other night that
this is very redundant and costly alternative.

> DISCLAIMER: About to mention stuff from my own shop...!! Watch out!
>
> AT $15 for a nice Arduino Derivative that already has 20 I/O pins, 20
> ground pins, and 20 Vcc
> pins, plus nice 4-pin I2C and Serial connectors, and a 5V 2A switching
> supply built in, why not
> solve a bunch of things that are far from the Linux world.  [...]
> See:http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/YourDuino-RoboRED

And I can attest that these are good, and at a better price point than
the DFRobot
RoMeo board
<http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56> I
first got -- version 2 is here
<http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=35_104&product_id=844>
($35).

If you want to stick with 32-bit, one of a number of alternatives is
the Dreamer
Maple-A
<http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1206>
board ($35), though it doesn't run Linux (Cortex-M3).  Similar to Cypress
Semiconductor's PSoC-4 <http://www.cypress.com/psoc4/?source=CY-ENG-HEADER>
(Cortex-M0), which can be had for about $4.

All these are "hardened" against voltage spikes, higher currents, and
higher voltages -- some cases up to 12V.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
scottghall1 at gmail.com