[TriEmbed] 2.0mm pitch female connectors

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Tue Mar 17 11:51:16 CDT 2015

I have the Japanese crimping tool described below:

    "Crimping Pliers for JST
<https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/10219>"

The size markings on this tool (clearly the width of the crimped
connector) don't correlate with those of the Polulu tools
<https://www.pololu.com/product/1928> (kinda hard to imagine the
dimensions of the rectangular connector cross section given it's area in
square mm!). If somebody could help us make sense of this for a common
example such as the JST 2mm PH series (the 2-pin one being the defacto
standard for Lipo batteries), that would be appreciated! My
simple-minded interpretation is that Polulu is listing the volume of the
crimped connector while the tool below is definitely the width of the
base of the male die part that squishes the connector together.

I've also got a decent crimper for the header connectors
<http://www.newark.com/multicomp/ht-225d/ratchet-crimping-tool/dp/01P3570>
that fit into the ubiquitous .1" center header shells (e.g. that would
slip over the pins of an Arduino shield), and, if you're old enough to
remember these, D-sub connectors. (This same tool, apparently the
"OKGEAR HT-225D" is available for $23 here
<http://www.amazon.com/HT-225D-Cycle-Ratchet-Crimping-interchangeable/dp/B007JLN93S>
but I have no experience with that source). It might be useful for folks
to see these and see how they work  to take advantage of the major cost
savings available if you make your own connectors. If the wire is
properly crimped and grabs the right amount of insulation at the end, it
won't pull loose before the wire is broken. Splatspace has this same
tool, by the way.  The smallest die opening of this tool is larger than
the largest of the "for JST" tool above, by the way.

The dies for this second tool are trivial to swap out, and this tool
appears to be the defacto standard design. You'd think there would be
others supporting different sizes (or even replacement same-size) dies.
But I've beaten the Internet bushes vigorously and not found any. ON the
other hand one set of dies will most certainly outlive me unless I hand
this thing over to a production facility.