[TriEmbed] Starting to work with the LED strips from Adam - basic questions

Adam Haile email at adamhaile.net
Sun Mar 1 20:56:40 CST 2015

1) That should work. And is why I like the APA102 series.

2) Can't hurt. The AllPixel has the option of installing that resistor. But
on future revisions we are going to make it always installed. You don't
always need it but never hurts to have it.

3) Never used the Arduino Library. But I can pretty much guarantee that
FastLED is faster :) Also, if you use FastLED to write an animation,
switching out the type of LEDs you use is as simple as changing 1 line of
code. It's what the AllPixel uses under the hood. I love it.

4) Correct with 1 caveat. In most cases, the actual flex PCB power trace on
those strips is NOT designed to carry 10A for the full length. If you go
full white, the last pixels will "pink out" as Dan and I say... that is to
say that they don't get enough current and start to go pinkish (or off
completely). Solution is to power it from both ends. That's why those
strips have the JST connector with 4 (or 3 pins) but also have the 2 bare
power and ground wires. Just be sure that if you do this you power both
ends from the *same* power supply. You can power with 2 separate supplies
but you have to cut the 5V line somewhere in the middle while leaving
ground connected. I don't know the full explanation behind this, but
connecting 2 supplies in parallel like that can cause one or both to fail.
Not letting their power streams cross (There is no Dana, only Zuul)
prevents this... just be sure that ground stays connected so there's a
common all around. In general, my rules is 5A per 5m.

5) ha... yes, power from both ends. That's a must. 1000uF should be fine.
20AWG should be fine.

6) It's a standard "JST" 4-pin connector (3-pin for
NeoPixel/WS2812/WS2811). Basically, standard 0.1" pin spacing with a little
lever bit to prevent accidental disconnects. I buy them in bulk:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-100Pairs-4-Pin-JST-Male-Female-Connector-Cable-Wire-F-WS2801-LPD8806-RGB-Strip-/281454915853?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item418805310d

Think you got it all... though, obviously, but sure not to reverse polarity
on the power. That would be bad :P