[TriEmbed] Starting to work with the LED strips from Adam - basic questions

Charles McClelland chip at mcclellands.org
Sun Mar 1 20:38:22 CST 2015

I think these questions will be answered by Adam in a heartbeat but, I am asking here in case anyone else will benefit.

I opened the sealed bag for my 5m APA102 LED strips and started working out what I need to do to get started.  Given how much these strips cost and how long it takes to get a replacement, I thought it would be good to ask before I hooked up my 10A power supply and gave these things a whirl.  I have a list of questions and assumptions below, and would appreciate any corrections or answers from those brave souls who have gone before more into the technicolor future of programmable LEDs:

1) I will use a regular old 5V Arduino UNO since my APA102 LEDS are not as timing sensitive as the older types.

2) Question: Do I need to put a 330 ohm resistor in series with the two SPI wires to reduce the change of burning out the 1st LED. (as suggested here <https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neopixel-uberguide/power>)

3) I will start with the Adafruit DotStart Library <https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dotstar-leds> and graduate to Fast LED Library <http://fastled.io/>  (of, course I will dump all this once my AllPixel arrives!!!).

4) I will use a 5V 10A switching power supply <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076UJZX0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1> to run this monster (Adam’s previous post: "60mA per LED (20mA per color) at full white. So, for a 5m roll of 32 LEDs/meter that's 160 LEDs or a possible 9.6A draw")

5) I will put a 1000uF or greater electrolytic capacitor rated at 10V or more between the power and ground of the power supply and connect the power supply and Arduino grounds.  Ideally, I will connect the power at both ends of the strip.  For 10A, the “free air” rating <http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Wire-Gauge_Ampacity> says I need 20 gauge or thicker.

6) Question: I hate to cut those cool connectors off.  Any chance you know the part number I would need to buy the mate for the provided connectors?

Am I missing anything or is there a better approach?  Don’t want to smoke these cool LEDs before I have a chance to play.  I have ambitions to try to put an Ambilight effect <http://blog.oscarliang.net/diy-tv-ambilight-arduino-processing-ozilight-1/> into my fiance’s family room someday (should be worth some points if done well).

Thank you all and would love to hear what others will do with the $2000 worth of LED’s <http://maniacallabs.com/2015/02/02/mail-bag-monday-8000-leds-edition/> Adam got for us.  Thank you Adam!

Charles McClelland
chip at mcclellands.org <mailto:chip at mcclellands.org>
919-624-5562