[TriEmbed] Power FETs Vol 25, Issue 27

Shane Trent shanedtrent at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 12:51:16 CDT 2015

Brian,

1) I expect the length of wire to the gate would NOT be a limiting factor
in your application. It might slow down the switching a little but it
sounds like it would not be an issue. I would use a resistor (100 ohm or
so) between the I/O pin and gate and add a large pull down resistor,
100k-1M ohm, between the gate and source to ensure capacitive coupling
cannot start turning on the FET.

2) You are correct that speed is a big reason to use a gate driver chip. If
you are happy with the speed and Rds that you are getting with your
existing logic drive you would not gain much by adding a gate driver.

3) The MOSFET gate is actually insulated from the Source and Drain by a
thin layer of oxide insulation (hence the Metal Oxide in MOSFET) that
insulates the gate and connected pin. So until failure of the gate oxide
(over-voltage to static discharge), you are rather safe connecting an I/O
pin directly to a MOSFET gate. The minimum protect required is typically a
small resistor between the I/O pin and gate to limit the pulse current to
the gate (the resistor can also reduce the tenancy of the MOSFET to ring or
oscillate during operation). I am not sure that you gain a layer of
protection by adding an expander chip, other than shorting out the wire to
the gate would overload the expander chip rather than the Pi.

Shane

--
A blog about some of my projects.  http://fettricks.blogspot.com/