[TriEmbed] Transistor as switch

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 19:10:14 CDT 2015

Pete,
I thought that your explanation was quite accurate. Especially since I used to cut trees as a young man. Now that I know the application is just a simple education lesson, as long as the motor is small, the MOSFET is probably the best fit. I would use a MOSFET with an integrated diode. Impossible to get it the wrong way. However, optical isolators  also allow you to drive MOSFETs at higher voltages. Even the logic level MOSFETs can be driven much stronger than 5v and in most cases what is considered a logic level MOSFET is really just a MOSFET that allows some current to flow at 5v, but does not even come close to the full potential. The optical isolator can completely separate the voltages and eliminate all noise. This is my favorite way to solve this problem, simply because the noise on the motor side electronics can be tolerated quite well by the driving chips in most cases.
Did I say MOSFET enough. No?
MOSFET, MOSFET, MOSFET, MOSFET
Just in case you weren't sick of it yet.
John Vaughters