[TriEmbed] Cheap ADS-B for drones

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 8 09:09:38 CDT 2015

Charlie,
A couple of questions an some commentary. First of all, great job on specifying the idea. Since we are dealing in an un-regulated area, it is pretty much anything goes and often times the things that stick are the first thing out there that can gain traction. Meaning people start developing for it and it becomes so popular that it becomes the default standard. So I hope you can gain some traction.

1. Has Amazon or any other large organization proposed any drone management system?2. Did you have any ideas on peer to peer communication between drones?  Maybe some short distance spectrum?
With all these wackos flying near airports, our society is begging for regulation, which will kill rapid development, so this is sort of a self regulatory idea, albeit not required. This sort of self regulation can make an argument against harsh government regulation, if you can show success and general public cooperation. I think it is a given that regulation will continue to get more strict, so ideas to solve this issue are in a great environment for success.
Looking into the future, Google recently bought a leader in a low orbit Satellite company trying to basically create a wifi for the entire world. This would provide internet to even places like the middle of the Pacific ocean. I have no idea on when this would occur, but not anytime too soon. However, it would support your idea of interenet enabled devices and have a potential future path forward. On the idea of fault, it gets a little bit hairy. For operator fault, you would have to show that the communication path through all the electronics and the towers were not at fault. Which would lead to topics such as approved electronics and then who approves them? The answer would be a governing body of some sort. So you would have to create an organization to fill this need.
I know I have jumped pretty far ahead, but all the signs are pointing to regulation of drones at a height above trees, maybe 100 ft. and if we do not act as a community, the Gov. will act for us. And, I will support Gov Regulation if the community does not act, because this is going to become a hotbed issue real soon if we are not careful.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I like the idea of ZMQ, I am looking into that technology as well, but with no real need I lack the time to give it proper investigation. Based on my investigation so far,  I think the short distance peer to peer fits in nicely with ZMQ. To me the short distance peer to  peer communication is the backup to the centralized system and clustered architectures can fill in areas that may be dark to the cell towers.
By all means keep us informed to any developments, I am very curious how this issue will turn out.
John Vaughters