[TriEmbed] Hardware "Debugging"

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Sat Jun 6 18:41:00 CDT 2015

Here's one more bug hazard to watch out for. If you have equipment
outdoors, a good design detail is to have "weep holes" on the bottom of
an otherwise sealed enclosure so repeated wet air leaks and day/night
cycles don't cause an accumulation of water The problem with a weep hole
is that wasps and other critters will get in and hose things up. The
clue is to discover the hole is filled with dried "wasp mud" (or, I
guess, electrocuted ants). I eventually learned to put a very fine mesh
screen over weep holes specifically to keep the wasps out. However, they
outsmarted me several years later. I  took the lawn mower key out one
spring and noticed I couldn't get it into the key hole: Yep, completely
blocked with dried mud!!