[TriEmbed] EE tutorial talks

Jon Wolfe jonjwolfe at anibit.com
Fri Jul 24 08:17:24 CDT 2015

I love the water flowing through channels analogy for current and voltage! I still think of them that way, and I even have imaginary contraptions thought up that could behave like diodes, caps, and coils, and even transistors, though I doubt they would physically work ;)

I'm buying a small water pump and some plastic tubing to demonstrate current, voltage, resistance, capacitance, and inductance with water for a computer camp that I teach at.  It might be a good visual aid for a talk at the next meeting.

Other than basics, there are some other things that I think might be especially relevant to embedded stuff that I could talk about at future meetings, if anyone's interested:

- input/output/power supply protection/isolation/decoupling
- making good measurements (types of measurement equipment, how to drive them, handling ground loops, proper setup, etc.)
- signal conditioning (filtering, amplification, attenuation)
- considerations for driving inputs/outputs (fan-in/fan-out, current limits, inductive/capacitive loads, and related problems)