[TriEmbed] Shane's constant current load PCBs

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Wed Jul 22 15:08:25 CDT 2015

This is about the adjustable, constant current load PCBs that Shane
Trent made available starting a year ago in conjunction with this blog
post <http://fettricks.blogspot.com/2014_06_01_archive.html>.

I built one of these and tested it to confirm it will provide an easily
adjustable, constant current load from a small fraction of an amp up to
a few amps,  depending on the power involved. As near as I can figure
the transistor doing the work in combination with the heat sink it's
bolted to can deal with 18 watts before the transistor junction
temperature limit is exceeded.

I'm almost done building a second one that could be a "TriEmbed Club
Loaner" for folks that would like to experiment with it.

Some of these PCBs were claimed at the last meeting but there is at
least one more available for anybody that would like it.

My builds use a precision five watt resistor in place of the 10 little
through hole ones, and I've got proper screw terminal blocks for the
load connection. It would be great to get input on a decent connector
for the current sense. Jamming multimeter probes into these holes is
only interesting for a short time.

It should be relatively straight forward to make this load programmable
by insinuating a control voltage into the op amp circuit to functionally
replace the adjustment pots. If somebody would like to pursue this I'm
sure we'd be relaxed about nearly any level of hacking of the loaner in
return for design details.