[TriEmbed] MCP3008 issues

Ian Hands iphands at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 06:51:19 CDT 2015

Hi all,

I am building something for geekSPARK using an RPI2 and an MCP3008.
The breadboard testing I was doing worked well (yay!) but now that
everything is soldered down I am having issues :-(

To explain... I had two of these wired up on a breadboard:
http://tinyurl.com/npuoz72
On pins 1, 2. Things were working as expected.

I now have 6 of that same photo resistor + 10k ohm resistor diagram...
wired to pins 1,2,3,4,5,6 (ch0 - ch5), and things are wonky.
For some reason I can get good reading from channels 1,3,5 (pins
2,4,6) but channels 0,2,4 (pins 1,3,5) are all flat (or damn near
close to flat).

I am scared that I might have overheated the MCP3008.
Anyone think heat could cause a failure on every other pin?

It may very well be wiring, but I've gone over everything I think...
and I am coming up short (pun intended :-D)

I started using example code too... same issue, so I am not suspecting
the code atm.
This shows the issue:
https://github.com/martinohanlon/mcp3008/blob/master/MCP3008.py
As does this: https://gist.github.com/iphands/b3cd5b329936ed1bb5d5

If anyone has an idea, or if some EE savvy person can help me test
after work or on Saturday please let me know. I would be very
greatful.
Thanks.

--
Sent from me, iHands.