[TriEmbed] Middle school presentation

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Mon Jan 26 10:57:11 CST 2015

If we have a theme for the February meeting I've forgotten it. Why don't
we take a crack at this topic? Up to this point, as a group, we've been
mostly focused on our own personal interests and/or the interests of
other meeting attendees (and I count Brian in this, although his
interests have been aimed at creating things and teaching children at
his museum in Wilson). It might be fun to spend some energy exploring
what might be of interest "out there", or specifically to a batch of
children.

I would like to point out there's a huge difference between activities
appropriate and effective for different age groups. I think it's equally
true that kids can totally amaze and go far beyond what one might expect
and it's deeply frustrating to put something in front of them that's
either completely over their heads or too simple to maintain there
interest for more than 20 seconds. I'd also like to make a pitch for the
"show them just enough to get started and then stand back and
watch/help" approach vs "showing/lecturing" something. (And on this
topic, we should at some point explore changes that might attract more
NCSU students, while reminding us that we meet at NCSU for a place to
meet, not with explicit obligations to any particular group of attendees.)

-Pete
PS  I haven't forgotten the video from this month's meeting, but I
messed up the first couple of HandBrake processing steps and haven't
been able to get back to that yet.