[TriEmbed] Question: On/Off Sensor for Hot Water Heater

Mark Sidell mark at sidell.org
Wed Jan 14 15:16:45 CST 2015

If money is not an issue, Veris sells on/off current sensors with digital
outputs. (As others have noted, since a water heater is a constant load,
on/off is all you need.) I used the H800 to monitor my water heater. I
clamped it around one of the hots, in the electric panel. Be careful with
that, of course!

    http://veris.com/product_results.aspx?keyword=H800

As an aside, I use a couple of Continental Control Systems WattNode Pulse
units to measure power usage for the mains and heat pump. These devices
output pulses at a rate proportional to power.

   http://www.ccontrolsys.com/w/Home

I feed the pulses to a Hobby Boards 1-wire dual counter board, which a
computer reads at regular intervals:

   http://www.hobby-boards.com/store/products.php?product=Dual-Counter