[TriEmbed] Question: On/Off Sensor for Hot Water Heater

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 14:12:47 CST 2015

Great board (current sensor) and a decent price ($18), so I will definitely
add it to my list of future projects.

However, I was wondering if there wasn't a simpler way to do this - my hot
water heater has a light that comes on whenever the heating coil is on, and
goes off when the coil is off. That light is a neon light, so there is an
almost zero chance it will not work.

It would be easy to add a light sensor over that light and sense it, and
that may be a cheaper solution for you.

However, if the $18 is not too high, that option does give you the option
of not only knowing it is on, but also measuring the wattage - a very nice
plus.