[TriEmbed] Question: On/Off Sensor for Hot Water Heater

Glen Smith mrglenasmith at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 14:12:40 CST 2015

You can also use either a clamp on (split) or pass through (disconnect,
pass wire through sensor and reconnect) transformer to measure. Sparkfun
has a 30A clamp on here: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11005

I also have a bookmark for an ElecFreaks Octopus version (pass through) but
the link
http://www.elecfreaks.com/store/octopus-noninvasive-ac-current-sensor-ta1703-brick-p-648.html
appears to be broken. I found info in their wiki about it here:
http://www.elecfreaks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Octopus_Non-invasive_AC_current_sensor_%28TA12-100%29_Brick

These get placed around one AC hot wire and depending on the current draw,
a voltage is induced that can be measured by a micro controller.

Glen